Olivia Twist by Lorie Langdon



Title: Olivia Twist

Author: Lorie Langdon

Published: March 6th, 2018



Synopsis:
    Olivia Twist is an innovative reimagining of Charles Dickens' classic tale Oliver Twist, in which Olivia was forced to live as a boy for her own safety until she was rescued from the streets. Now eighteen, Olivia finds herself at a crossroads: revealed secrets threaten to destroy the "proper" life she has built for herself, while newfound feelings for an arrogant young man she shouldn't like could derail her carefully laid plans for the future.
   Olivia Brownlow is no damsel in distress. Born in a workhouse and raised as a boy among thieving London street gangs, she is as tough and cunning as they come. When she is taken in by her uncle after a caper gone wrong, her life goes from fighting and stealing on the streets to lavish dinners and soirees as a debutante in high society. But she can’t seem to escape her past … or forget the teeming slums where children just like her still scrabble to survive.
   Jack MacCarron rose from his place in London's East End to become the adopted "nephew" of a society matron. Little does society know that MacCarron is a false name for a boy once known among London gangs as the Artful Dodger, and that he and his “aunt” are robbing them blind every chance they get. When Jack encounters Olivia Brownlow in places he least expects, his curiosity is piqued. Why is a society girl helping a bunch of homeless orphan thieves? Even more intriguing, why does she remind him so much of someone he once knew? Jack finds himself wondering if going legit and risking it all might be worth it for love.


                                       *              *               *                *                *


    First: This is now one of my new favorite books- so so good!! From the beginning to the epilogue, I was enraptured and in love with the characters and the story.
Though I (of course) got annoyed once or twice- I easily forgave the stupid characters that obviously didn't know better (unlike us readers, of course). I will always be thankful when a protagonist doesn't make the kind of decisions that are made in horror movies, though.


  So as the plot goes, it was interesting to see where it did actually end up going. While I love to guess what's going to happen in a book while I read it...sometimes it's harder for me. That's not a bad thing! Just that I could see so many different ways thing could've gone in the story that I wasn't sure what the author was going to do in this unique version of Oliver Twist.

  But that ending though...

Gosh, I had to reread the last half of the book twice after I had officially finished it. Let me tell you, that does not happen too often- but when it does... I need to buy the book asap.


As for the characters...
I'm not even upset that *that one specifically annoying character that will not be named* died.

   Jack was...an interesting character to read about and from. Lately, in YA books, I've noticed that when we share povs with love interests...the guy is this dark, mysterious person that is hurt and has to open up to the girl gradually (or through force at certain times). While there was that vibe in this book too, Jack already knew Olivia from when they were kids- so it wasn't so bad. It's just that they kinda lied to each other among other things and made out a few times which- sure, would make things awkward. Especially when some big secrets are being kept from each other.
(Way to make the reader feel awkward and second-hand-embarrassment for like 8 chapters BTW.)

Olivia and Jack had an interesting relationship to read about, needless to say, and by interesting I mean rather funny and just made my day.


Would I want a sequel?
 While I would LOVE another book, I can tell that it's not needed and might ruin the prefect ending that I'm so happy and inlove with already...so no I don't want a sequel- though I wouldn't mind! (Just putting that out there, Lol.)



[My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐]



Have any of you read Olivia Twist??
 If so, what did you think? If not, would you want to try it?


Have an awesomely lovely day!!
~Books with Noel :D

Comments

  1. This seems like a very unique novel! I have never read Oliver Twist, (I know, it’s a classic), but I have always preferred retellings of classics! I find them easier to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very unique and good! I wouldn't say you have to have read Oliver Twist to read and understand this one- though it would make the experience a bit better.

      Delete
  2. I’m glad that you found a new favorite! I’ve seen this book around, but I didn’t know much about it. Great review!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's great, definitely going to be a re-read!

      Delete
  3. I never read Oliver Twist, though I think at one point I was interested in it because the plot seemed promising. 😂 Olivia Twist sounds like a better version though, with a little gender swapping and a few other twists as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good!! It made me think of The Night Circus a lot actually- but I definitely loved it just as much!

      Delete
  4. I've seen this one around but never looked into it. I'm happy it's a new favorite!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely suggest it, it's so so good!!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read it yet but I think I have it on my shelf somewhere. It sounds fantastic.

    Maybe there will be a companion novel if not a direct sequel.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so- I would definitely read a companion novel!

      Delete
  6. Haven't heard of this book before but it sounds amazing! Awesome review! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this book before, but after reading your review I now want to read it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I loved it a lot- which was a surprise for me, it recently started getting more hype so I was thinking it wouldn't be that great... surprise!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read Olivia or Oliver Twist. I wasn't a fan of Charles Dickens' brand of storytelling, dark and dreary. Hopefully Olivia wasn't like that. There are books I don't want a sequel, like you, I don't want the happy ending ruined by another book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! Sometimes the author still puts out another book- and it gives me a heart attack because I thought everything was gonna be okay!

      Delete
  9. I've never read Oliver Twist but reading the description- this sounds like a lot of fun! I love the whole street urchin having to adjust to high society thing! You may have sold me on this one haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh geez, thanks! You don't have to read Oliver Twist to read this one, but it would be best if you have an idea of what Oliver Twist is about first- but nothing big, just the overall story idea really.

      Delete
  10. Oh, man, now I definitely want to read this. I was already excited about a unique retelling, and you make it sound SO good!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it! There were a few parts where I was frustrated with the main characters, but overall it was AMAZING!!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment