Skip to main content

Descent of Shadows by Ryanne Glenn | Daggers, Wraiths, & More!

* I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, all thoughts and opinions are my own! *


Title: Descent of Shadows

Author:  Ryanne Glenn

Published: December 11th, 2018

Genre: Middle Grade, Fantasy, Adventure

AMAZON | Goodreads




  Synopsis: 

  At the heart of her family’s war against the wraith king, Anna makes the only decision she can—to fight back.
 
Humans have always called the land of Istamba home, yet Roland, King of the Wraiths, is intent on claiming it for himself. When Fort Lieay is attacked, thirteen-year-old Anna Lieay is the only survivor. Distraught from the death of her parents, she makes the dangerous journey to the Sanctuary, the last free human settlement. There, she vows to join the army, despite her age, to help save her home from the wraiths and restore peace to humanity.
It makes it a little better knowing this is a Middle Grade, and apparently a series. 

  I had really liked the first few chapters, it brought a lot of anticipation and had started very well!
However...as it carried on it didn't progress as well for me, I stopped caring for the characters and was more annoyed at several of them. It didn't help that through the rest of the book they were rather flat to me.



I really liked the fantasy themes of it, with the Wraiths especially. 

And parts of it did remind me of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card a bit, a younger generation helping and fighting for the human race. I liked the plot and where it was going.
 But overall, the execution of the plot and characters could have been done better and more of ended up chasing me away. 
Anna had held a lot of potential, and so had the side characters...but it seemed to just...go away somehow?


[My Rating: 🌟🌟] [2.5 stars!]



I sadly only have a shorter book review for you guys today, but I'll have another post up on Saturday for My Blogger Friends + New Blogs!


Thanks for reading!!
~Books with Noel

Comments

  1. Bummer that this didn't live up to its potential. Hope your next read is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm crossing my fingers the next one will be, but we'll see!

      Delete
  2. Aw sorry this one wasn't a little better in terms of the characters. Hopefully the series will pick up a little in that sense as it goes along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, if felt so butchered to the point picking up the sequel is not in my plans- even if it gets better :(

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Noel's BLOGVERSARY!!

Bonjour mes amis! [Hello my friends!] It's officially Books with Noel 's Blogversary!!! Quick Note: I'm sorry if any of these seems rushed, I injured my wrist at work and now have to wear a brace on my right side (I'm right-handed). When I first started blogging, it was a rash and implusive decision (and no, I ususally don't have those). I had already been trying to do BookTube for a while, and it was rough- I'll admit it. But more on that later! I started Books with Noel to try to communicate my passion and thoughts on books the only way I know best- through writing. (Don't ask why I'm still on YouTube then, sometimes I don't even know myself.) As soon as I did my first two blog posts on here, I was introduced to some very kind book bloggers and I found the best book community I've ever seen! Everyone is so nice, even when disagreeing about a book! I'm now able to support other bloggers and unknown authors through my blo...

The Wrath & The Dawn by Renée Ahdieh | It's Love, I know It!

Title: The Wrath and The Dawn Author: Renée Ahdieh Other books by Author: The Rose and The Dagger ( book 2 ), Flame In The Mist , Smoke In The Sun (b ook 2 to Flame in The Mist ) Published: May 12th, 2015 Genre: Fantasy, YA, Retellings, Romance AMAZON | GOODREADS  Synopsis: One Life to One Dawn.   In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.   Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expect...

Library Love | 1st Post

Hi guys, so my friend Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? did a post that I thought was really cool and I would want to start doing. Basically whenever I go to the library, I share in a blog post what I got and hope to read! I think this is meant to be like once every two or three weeks, but I actually only get to go to my library probably once a month... SO.... yeah haha. But whenever I do go, from now on I'll be doing a little blog post for you guys! :D                  ~             ~             ~             ~               ~                ~ So here's what I think they call a ''Library Book Haul''? I'm not for sure, I may be on BookTube but I am...