Skip to main content

Bed and Breakfast and Murder by Patti Larson | How Not To Run A B&B!



Title: Bed and Breakfast and Murder (Fiona Fleming Cozy Mysteries #1)

Author: Patti Larsen

Published: January 28th, 2017

Genre: mystery, fiction, cozy mystery

AMAZON | GOODREADS



  Synopsis  A Poo Poo Kind of Morning

I tried not to look down the mouth of hell staring back at me from inside the glaringly pristine outer ceramic shell of the white throne, my throat catching, stomach doing half flips and a rather impressive rollover routine that would have gotten at least a 9.5 even from the Russian judges. Instead, I forced myself to smile and swallow and remind myself the elbow length yellow rubber gloves grasping the handle of the standard issue plunger were all that stood between me and Pooageddon.

Suck it up, Fee. Big girl panties and adulting and all that.

"At what point," I waved the dripping plunger, wincing as droplets of yuck flew, "did I think owning a bed and breakfast was going to be glamorous and romantic?"

Fiona Fleming hasn't lived in Reading, Vermont in over a decade, her escape from small town living leading her to New York City and a life of adventure. An adventure that has left her with no career, an ex who cheated on her and zero plans for the future. Her grandmother's death grants her a new chance--inheriting Petunia's, Iris Fleming's bed and breakfast, seems like the ideal fresh start. But when Fee finds out ownership of the property Iris willed her might be in question, she's drawn into the seedy underbelly of the cutest town in America after being singled out as the main suspect in a murder.
  Our protagonist, Fiona (or Fee, whichever you prefer) surprised me throughout the book when her curiosity and plans did not get her killed or kidnapped. The phrase ''Curiosity killed the cat''? That was invented for this woman. While she was smart and noticed lots of things, the way she went about it sometimes just gave me second-hand embarrassment.

  I liked her character a lot, she was quirky and a funny pov to read from! I thought she would be your typical big-city girl moves back into old hometown, but she was not at all. Fee reminded me very much of Nancy Drew, but with a pug and an undying fiery attitude.

  She worked hard to run the Bed & Breakfast, though I don't think all the publicity the murder gave it was the best...call me crazy, but I wouldn't want to stay at a B&B where someone just died less than 24 hours ago...


  I did really like how the romance was hinted at because at first I didn't necessarily like how there wasn't really any for Fee in the book- but I'm rather okay with that now. It was hinted at that maybe in other books in the series.
 Besides, it was hilarious to watch their interactions with each other!! Lol :D


Plot wise, I literally guessed maybe one or two things right. Nothing. Else.

 I was so thrown off about who the murder was at the end, I honestly had to set the book down for a second and be like 

Because I'm telling you guys- you won't guess that crap!


And of course, the best moments were with Petunia the pug (or is it Petunia III??)!

''Petunia farted so loudly she woke herself, sitting abruptly upright while the stench of her pug bowels surpassed anything I'd just managed to banish.'' - page 4


I will absolutely be reading more of this series!!



[My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟] [3.5!]



Have any of you read or heard of this book?? What do you think?


Have a lovely day!!
~Books with Noel

Comments

  1. I love cozy mystery covers! I haven't read one in a while though.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is maybe the second cozy mystery series I've read!

      Delete
  2. You had me at Nancy Drew. I love a good cosy mystery and this sounds as though it's well written and unpredictable, which isn't something I come across often. I love a book that keeps me guessing. A massive bonus when they have pets within the narrative, that always adds an element of fun to the storyline. So glad you enjoyed this one Noel, wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally picked it up because of the pug on the cover lol xD

      Delete
  3. Oh I might need this cozy! Plus the pug had me laughing. Looks like a good one! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite parts usually had the pug's attitude in them lol!

      Delete
  4. Cozy's always seem to have interesting covers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Noel's BLOGVERSARY!!

Bonjour mes amis! [Hello my friends!] It's officially Books with Noel 's Blogversary!!! Quick Note: I'm sorry if any of these seems rushed, I injured my wrist at work and now have to wear a brace on my right side (I'm right-handed). When I first started blogging, it was a rash and implusive decision (and no, I ususally don't have those). I had already been trying to do BookTube for a while, and it was rough- I'll admit it. But more on that later! I started Books with Noel to try to communicate my passion and thoughts on books the only way I know best- through writing. (Don't ask why I'm still on YouTube then, sometimes I don't even know myself.) As soon as I did my first two blog posts on here, I was introduced to some very kind book bloggers and I found the best book community I've ever seen! Everyone is so nice, even when disagreeing about a book! I'm now able to support other bloggers and unknown authors through my blo...

The Wrath & The Dawn by Renée Ahdieh | It's Love, I know It!

Title: The Wrath and The Dawn Author: Renée Ahdieh Other books by Author: The Rose and The Dagger ( book 2 ), Flame In The Mist , Smoke In The Sun (b ook 2 to Flame in The Mist ) Published: May 12th, 2015 Genre: Fantasy, YA, Retellings, Romance AMAZON | GOODREADS  Synopsis: One Life to One Dawn.   In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.   Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expect...

The Month of November and Sweaters | A Wrap-Up

Guys, I am so sorry I uploaded this late!! I've been going insane with my schedule- two jobs, my dog, scholarships and math- are murdering my brain! This past month it finally started getting colder where I am (weird that October wasn't cold, but okay), and now I'm overly excited for Winter! Or as I call it, the Happy Season! So here's my wrap-up for the month of November and Sweaters !   P.S. My wrap-ups are going to be different from now on because I don't have time to set up links for all my friend's blogs and blog posts :(  ~ What did I read this past month? ~ I had a fairly good reading month in November, but I still didn't finish what I had wanted to :( But here's the loot! [3 stars] Soon to be Reviewed! [5 stars] Review here [3.5 stars] Definitely, want to read more of the manga!! [2 stars] Didn't particularly care for it, but am still curious... [4 stars] Review ...