The Musician and the Monster by Megan Van Dyke | Book Review

 

The Musician and the Monster by Megan Van Dyke

Goodreads | Amazon | Bookbub


SynopsisEvery night, Ceridwen Kinsley plays music on her rooftop for the spirit of her dead mother. A peaceful if odd ritual, until she witnesses a murder by something not quite human. The monstrous encounter earns her notoriety within the city and a visit from the reclusive Lord Protector Drystan Winterbourne.


Charged with protecting the backwater city of Teneboure by the king, Drystan is failing at his task, and he can’t afford another slip up. But when fate and the very monster he means to conquer bring Ceridwen to his notice, he seizes the opportunity and presents her with an offer: play music for him at his manor in exchange for the money her impoverished family desperately needs. Music eases the strain of his magic, and who better to hire than the woman whose tunes he secretly listens to at night?

At first, Ceridwen is put off by Drystan’s unkempt appearance and harsh demeanor, not to mention the odd ailment that plagues him. But as he embraces her passion for music and she draws the recluse out of his lonely tower, the two develop an unlikely attachment. Class lines begin to blur as fearful indifference shifts to unexpected desire, and Ceridwen yearns to help Drystan subdue the monster as well as provide for her family. However, the monster prowling the night isn’t their only enemy, and as terrible secrets come to light, protecting those they love may risk their lives and their hearts.


This retelling of Beauty and the Beast incorporates themes and motifs from Phantom of the Opera, and is set in a gaslamp fantasy world with strong gothic vibes. It should appeal to fans of romantic and atmospheric retellings and fairy tales by authors such as Hannah Whitten, Tessonja Odette, and Stephanie Garber.

While this is book 4 in the Reimagined Fairy Tales series, it can be read as a standalone.
** I received an ARC from the author for an honest review, all thoughts and opinions are my own.**


For those that don't know what a gaslamp fantasy is, it's basically a fantasy or magic story set in regency or Victorian era. (Which how could I not love that?? Seriously, I love regency, fantasy, and retellings...there's no way this isn't up my alley!)

It is a new Indie release, it just came out on May 7th, and I've been eagerly awaiting this book 
*rubs hands evilly with a cackle that ends up doubling me over with a cough*


I have not read a book by Megan Van Dyke that I didn't absolutely love, and I'm so ecstatic to add this read to that list. From what I've read so far, her books do have spice, but you can skip over them if that makes you uncomfortable.


This book hit so many high notes for me: the gothic vibes, the gaslamp fantasy subgenre, the retellings of Beauty and the Beast x Phantom of the Opera, the romance was slow-burn like I love and where he falls first 😍😍 
I may or may not have squealed at a few parts but no one can prove anything (except my husband, but he knows better than to rat me out lol).

First, I LOVED the characters!
I really liked the side characters, but I loved the main characters we got for this story. I'm tired of the ''strong badass female'' stereotype, I see it enough okay! Our main character was strong in her own way, but was more timid and reserved and quiet. And oh my goodness, did it make me love her to pieces. I'm a lot like her in that respect so it actually let me connect with her a lot better from early on in the story.
And then we have Drystan, the wonderful love interest that's too good to spoil. 

Plot wise, I really enjoyed the story. I particularly loved getting to connect the parts that were which retelling, etc. The flow and OH GOD THE SLOW BURN-- I loved the slow burn romance!!

It was all so fantastically done, and easily a new favorite read.

I've got to say, it was the first book in a long time I've stayed up LATE to read and finish. It's been soo long since I could say I honestly couldn't put a book down, but I can 100% say that for this book there was no way I was putting it down lol!
Have you read any of Megan Van Dyke's books? If so, any favorites?

And what's your thoughts on gaslamp fantasy?? I feel like I don't see it a lot, but I love it every time I do!


Happy reading lovelies!!
~NoelW

Comments

  1. Ohhhhh that cover is so pretty! I haven't read any Megan Van Dyke's books, but I know Kindle has been recommending me a few of theirs - I think it was one of the other books in the series, I don't remember. But I KNOW it stuck out because the whole series has breathtaking covers. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed this and that there's slow-burn - I love those so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I LOVE the cover!! *all the heart eyes* YES so many of her's in the series have gorgeous covers! Thank you, I love slow-burns haha especially when there's angst lol!

      Delete

Post a Comment