Skip to main content

The Musician and the Monster by Megan Van Dyke | Book Review

 

The Musician and the Monster by Megan Van Dyke

Goodreads | Amazon | Bookbub


Synopsis: Every night, Ceridwen Kinsley plays music on her rooftop for the spirit of her dead mother. A peaceful if odd ritual, until she witnesses a murder by something not quite human. The monstrous encounter earns her notoriety within the city and a visit from the reclusive Lord Protector Drystan Winterbourne.


Charged with protecting the backwater city of Teneboure by the king, Drystan is failing at his task, and he can’t afford another slip up. But when fate and the very monster he means to conquer bring Ceridwen to his notice, he seizes the opportunity and presents her with an offer: play music for him at his manor in exchange for the money her impoverished family desperately needs. Music eases the strain of his magic, and who better to hire than the woman whose tunes he secretly listens to at night?

At first, Ceridwen is put off by Drystan’s unkempt appearance and harsh demeanor, not to mention the odd ailment that plagues him. But as he embraces her passion for music and she draws the recluse out of his lonely tower, the two develop an unlikely attachment. Class lines begin to blur as fearful indifference shifts to unexpected desire, and Ceridwen yearns to help Drystan subdue the monster as well as provide for her family. However, the monster prowling the night isn’t their only enemy, and as terrible secrets come to light, protecting those they love may risk their lives and their hearts.


This retelling of Beauty and the Beast incorporates themes and motifs from Phantom of the Opera, and is set in a gaslamp fantasy world with strong gothic vibes. It should appeal to fans of romantic and atmospheric retellings and fairy tales by authors such as Hannah Whitten, Tessonja Odette, and Stephanie Garber.

While this is book 4 in the Reimagined Fairy Tales series, it can be read as a standalone.
** I received an ARC from the author for an honest review, all thoughts and opinions are my own.**


For those that don't know what a gaslamp fantasy is, it's basically a fantasy or magic story set in regency or Victorian era. (Which how could I not love that?? Seriously, I love regency, fantasy, and retellings...there's no way this isn't up my alley!)

It is a new Indie release, it just came out on May 7th, and I've been eagerly awaiting this book 
*rubs hands evilly with a cackle that ends up doubling me over with a cough*


I have not read a book by Megan Van Dyke that I didn't absolutely love, and I'm so ecstatic to add this read to that list. From what I've read so far, her books do have spice, but you can skip over them if that makes you uncomfortable.


This book hit so many high notes for me: the gothic vibes, the gaslamp fantasy subgenre, the retellings of Beauty and the Beast x Phantom of the Opera, the romance was slow-burn like I love and where he falls first 😍😍 
I may or may not have squealed at a few parts but no one can prove anything (except my husband, but he knows better than to rat me out lol).

First, I LOVED the characters!
I really liked the side characters, but I loved the main characters we got for this story. I'm tired of the ''strong badass female'' stereotype, I see it enough okay! Our main character was strong in her own way, but was more timid and reserved and quiet. And oh my goodness, did it make me love her to pieces. I'm a lot like her in that respect so it actually let me connect with her a lot better from early on in the story.
And then we have Drystan, the wonderful love interest that's too good to spoil. 

Plot wise, I really enjoyed the story. I particularly loved getting to connect the parts that were which retelling, etc. The flow and OH GOD THE SLOW BURN-- I loved the slow burn romance!!

It was all so fantastically done, and easily a new favorite read.

I've got to say, it was the first book in a long time I've stayed up LATE to read and finish. It's been soo long since I could say I honestly couldn't put a book down, but I can 100% say that for this book there was no way I was putting it down lol!
Have you read any of Megan Van Dyke's books? If so, any favorites?

And what's your thoughts on gaslamp fantasy?? I feel like I don't see it a lot, but I love it every time I do!


Happy reading lovelies!!
~NoelW

Comments

  1. Ohhhhh that cover is so pretty! I haven't read any Megan Van Dyke's books, but I know Kindle has been recommending me a few of theirs - I think it was one of the other books in the series, I don't remember. But I KNOW it stuck out because the whole series has breathtaking covers. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed this and that there's slow-burn - I love those so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I LOVE the cover!! *all the heart eyes* YES so many of her's in the series have gorgeous covers! Thank you, I love slow-burns haha especially when there's angst lol!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Noel's BLOGVERSARY!!

Bonjour mes amis! [Hello my friends!] It's officially Books with Noel 's Blogversary!!! Quick Note: I'm sorry if any of these seems rushed, I injured my wrist at work and now have to wear a brace on my right side (I'm right-handed). When I first started blogging, it was a rash and implusive decision (and no, I ususally don't have those). I had already been trying to do BookTube for a while, and it was rough- I'll admit it. But more on that later! I started Books with Noel to try to communicate my passion and thoughts on books the only way I know best- through writing. (Don't ask why I'm still on YouTube then, sometimes I don't even know myself.) As soon as I did my first two blog posts on here, I was introduced to some very kind book bloggers and I found the best book community I've ever seen! Everyone is so nice, even when disagreeing about a book! I'm now able to support other bloggers and unknown authors through my blo...

The Wrath & The Dawn by Renée Ahdieh | It's Love, I know It!

Title: The Wrath and The Dawn Author: Renée Ahdieh Other books by Author: The Rose and The Dagger ( book 2 ), Flame In The Mist , Smoke In The Sun (b ook 2 to Flame in The Mist ) Published: May 12th, 2015 Genre: Fantasy, YA, Retellings, Romance AMAZON | GOODREADS  Synopsis: One Life to One Dawn.   In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.   Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expect...

Library Love | 1st Post

Hi guys, so my friend Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? did a post that I thought was really cool and I would want to start doing. Basically whenever I go to the library, I share in a blog post what I got and hope to read! I think this is meant to be like once every two or three weeks, but I actually only get to go to my library probably once a month... SO.... yeah haha. But whenever I do go, from now on I'll be doing a little blog post for you guys! :D                  ~             ~             ~             ~               ~                ~ So here's what I think they call a ''Library Book Haul''? I'm not for sure, I may be on BookTube but I am...