The Nemesis by S. J. Kincaid


The Nemesis by S. J. Kincaid

[YA Sci-fi] [The Diabolic #3, final book in trilogy]

[Goodreads] [Amazon]


About: In the heart-pounding conclusion to the New York Times bestselling Diabolic series, the Empire teeters on the edge of destruction as rumors spread that Nemesis is still alive.


Three years ago, Tyrus Domitrian shocked the galaxy by killing the woman he swore to love forever. The woman for whom he upended the Empire. The woman with whom he wanted to build a new and brighter future.

Now, the once-idealistic heir apparent has become the cruel Emperor Tyrus, wielding his authority with an iron fist, capable of destroying planets with a single word, controlling all technology with a simple thought. He has bent the Grandiloquy to their knees, and none has the power to stand against him.

But there is a muttering among the Excess. They say that Nemesis is not truly gone. They whisper of her shadow spotted in distant star systems. They say that Nemesis lives. That she will rise, and rally the people to topple the man who was once her truest love—and is now her fiercest enemy.

~My thoughts~

       **Spoilers for first two books in series (The Diabolic and The Empress)!!**


I read the first book to this trilogy several years ago, and as soon as I possibly could, I snatched up book two. 

The cliffhanger that book left me with had me constantly checking for updates of the last book's release (this book). I WAITED FOREVER!!!! 

Okay, not actually ''forever'', but it felt like it!!

With where the last book left off, I'd had my heart shattered into pieces but the promise of a final conclusion to come had given me some hope-- granted a tiny amount-- but hope none the less. The first two books just set everything up so perfectly for this last one to finally resolve everything and punch me in the heart just a lot more.

And that it did.

And I loved it so much I want to re-read the series again.

 I will admit I was also terrified of what the ending would be for these characters, for Tyrus and Nemesis specifically as I'd rooted for them and their romance from the beginning only for... what happened in the cliffhanger in the last book 👀 (if you know, you know).


Listen y'all, I LOVE when a book wrecks me and makes me sob. I love tragedies and villain love, I just do.

So believe me, after where that cliffhanger went... I was READY.


Alright moving along, I'm going to try and compress all of my thoughts and emotions into bullet points so that I can cover everything without rambling your ears off too much.


  • Nemesis' character, oooh buddy, did I enjoy seeing how she'd grown from the first two books. She was just so utterly herself, and is one of my top favorite main characters to root for without a doubt. She was ready to take a *certain person* down and I was here for it all the way!!

  • All of the characters showed more layers and depth, and it was so interesting to read. Neveni... I was mad at multiple times, it was wild to look back at book 1 and see how much this girl had changed, and while I liked her at times I feel like her and Nemesis went back and forth in their friendship so many times and forgave each other for some stuff that um... yeah, no. Nuh uh.

  • Anguish became a side character I adored. I loved his brother sister friendship with Nemesis and found it complemented things so well.

  • Tyrus! So I don't want to say too much about him, because I feel like I'll give somethings away that just is too good to spoil. I will say he delivered my favorite parts of the book.

  • Finally, the storyline and ending-- YES YES YES!! I wasn't entirely sure how the author would handle this book, just after how the last one ended, but holy moly did she deliver! I would love an extra epilogue, but I'm so genuinely satisfied with how this book ended and the twists in it that I don't feel like I need it or have to have it y'know?


Finally, my rating:

Have you read this series or this book?

What were your thoughts??


Happy reading lovelies, and thank you for stopping in!! 

*virtual coffee toast*

~NoelW

Comments