Special A [Anime Discussion]


Title: Special A

Sub or Dub?? Sub as always!! I was utterly horrified when I tried the dub :(

Episodes: 24 episodes

Manga: 17 volumes

Where to watch: Hulu

Genre: Drama, Romance, Comedy



[About: Hikari Hanazono was the best at everything, so when she challenged Kei Takishima to a wrestling match, she naturally assumed she would win. She lost; he won, and the natural order was disrupted. Ever since Hikari’s entire life has been structured around beating Kei at SOMETHING. Try as she might, Hikari always comes up short.]



Would you guys be surprised if I told you I discovered this anime from watching some AMVs on YouTube??

It seems that happens a lot 😂


A couple things to keep in mind when watching this anime:

  • Around the second or third episode, the anime started getting better art, just the first episode's art made me hiss like a cat :)
  • This show honestly... is like  67% humor and 33% ''one-sided'' romance struggles.
  • It's meant to be a comedy, much like Ouran High School Host Club (which if you loved, definitely try this!)

   Once I gave it a chance, because the first episode wasn't the greatest, I ended up not putting it down.  
  Another bonus: this is one of the few anime I've seen that doesn't have any unnecessary things that make you uncomfortable or tear you to pieces on the inside. Last time I did an anime discussion (the one for Code: Breaker), I forgot to add warnings about harsher content and I still feel about that! (Now that I think about it there were actually several harsher things in there that I had completely forgotten about somehow...)


 Special A could really be for all ages, I can just imagine myself watching this at 10 and trying to throw tables at my brothers *sighs* that would've been great! It's funny and doesn't lose it's plot, though it still has super ridiculous moments too- but it's part of the charm.

 Romance wise, it wasn't one of those gushy ones- it was hilarious and slightly teary-eyed once or twice (but you can't prove anything!). I liked how the romance was done a lot, it fit the characters really well instead of trying to make them act extremely unlike themselves or other embarrassing things!


As for the ending, I did like the anime ending but... I hear the manga had a slightly different ending and even had some more character and relationship growth before it was over.

WHY do I always find the anime that make me want to read the manga afterward??

Have any of you watched this anime or read the manga?? What did you think???


Thanks for reading!!
~Books with Noel

Comments

  1. I always try to go sub- I've been watching some shows on Netflix and much prefer the subs to dubbing (man is the dubbing horrible or what?)

    This looks fun, I've been thinking of getting Hulu again and if I do I'll add this to my list of stuff to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's very few anime that can actually pull off good dubbing for some reason!! It's crazy because it sounds terrible, and then the subs sound amazing!! lol

      I like Hulu because it has a lot of the older anime, Netflix has the newer ones though!

      Delete

Post a Comment