Bed and Breakfast and Murder by Patti Larson | How Not To Run A B&B!



Title: Bed and Breakfast and Murder (Fiona Fleming Cozy Mysteries #1)

Author: Patti Larsen

Published: January 28th, 2017

Genre: mystery, fiction, cozy mystery

AMAZON | GOODREADS



  Synopsis  A Poo Poo Kind of Morning

I tried not to look down the mouth of hell staring back at me from inside the glaringly pristine outer ceramic shell of the white throne, my throat catching, stomach doing half flips and a rather impressive rollover routine that would have gotten at least a 9.5 even from the Russian judges. Instead, I forced myself to smile and swallow and remind myself the elbow length yellow rubber gloves grasping the handle of the standard issue plunger were all that stood between me and Pooageddon.

Suck it up, Fee. Big girl panties and adulting and all that.

"At what point," I waved the dripping plunger, wincing as droplets of yuck flew, "did I think owning a bed and breakfast was going to be glamorous and romantic?"

Fiona Fleming hasn't lived in Reading, Vermont in over a decade, her escape from small town living leading her to New York City and a life of adventure. An adventure that has left her with no career, an ex who cheated on her and zero plans for the future. Her grandmother's death grants her a new chance--inheriting Petunia's, Iris Fleming's bed and breakfast, seems like the ideal fresh start. But when Fee finds out ownership of the property Iris willed her might be in question, she's drawn into the seedy underbelly of the cutest town in America after being singled out as the main suspect in a murder.
  Our protagonist, Fiona (or Fee, whichever you prefer) surprised me throughout the book when her curiosity and plans did not get her killed or kidnapped. The phrase ''Curiosity killed the cat''? That was invented for this woman. While she was smart and noticed lots of things, the way she went about it sometimes just gave me second-hand embarrassment.

  I liked her character a lot, she was quirky and a funny pov to read from! I thought she would be your typical big-city girl moves back into old hometown, but she was not at all. Fee reminded me very much of Nancy Drew, but with a pug and an undying fiery attitude.

  She worked hard to run the Bed & Breakfast, though I don't think all the publicity the murder gave it was the best...call me crazy, but I wouldn't want to stay at a B&B where someone just died less than 24 hours ago...


  I did really like how the romance was hinted at because at first I didn't necessarily like how there wasn't really any for Fee in the book- but I'm rather okay with that now. It was hinted at that maybe in other books in the series.
 Besides, it was hilarious to watch their interactions with each other!! Lol :D


Plot wise, I literally guessed maybe one or two things right. Nothing. Else.

 I was so thrown off about who the murder was at the end, I honestly had to set the book down for a second and be like 

Because I'm telling you guys- you won't guess that crap!


And of course, the best moments were with Petunia the pug (or is it Petunia III??)!

''Petunia farted so loudly she woke herself, sitting abruptly upright while the stench of her pug bowels surpassed anything I'd just managed to banish.'' - page 4


I will absolutely be reading more of this series!!



[My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟] [3.5!]



Have any of you read or heard of this book?? What do you think?


Have a lovely day!!
~Books with Noel

Comments

  1. I love cozy mystery covers! I haven't read one in a while though.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is maybe the second cozy mystery series I've read!

      Delete
  2. You had me at Nancy Drew. I love a good cosy mystery and this sounds as though it's well written and unpredictable, which isn't something I come across often. I love a book that keeps me guessing. A massive bonus when they have pets within the narrative, that always adds an element of fun to the storyline. So glad you enjoyed this one Noel, wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally picked it up because of the pug on the cover lol xD

      Delete
  3. Oh I might need this cozy! Plus the pug had me laughing. Looks like a good one! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite parts usually had the pug's attitude in them lol!

      Delete
  4. Cozy's always seem to have interesting covers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment