Rook by Sharon Cameron

Book review time!



Title: Rook

Author: Sharon Cameron

Other books by author: The Forgetting (review here), The Knowing (companion to The Forgetting)

PublishedApril 28th, 2015

Link to Amazon: Rook by Sharon Cameron on Amazon



[Synopsis:  History has a way of repeating itself. In the Sunken City that was once Paris, all who oppose the new revolution are being put to the blade. Except for those who disappear from their prison cells, a red-tipped rook feather left in their place. Is the mysterious Red Rook a savior of the innocent or a criminal?

Meanwhile, across the sea in the Commonwealth, Sophia Bellamy’s arranged marriage to the wealthy René Hasard is the last chance to save her family from ruin. But when the search for the Red Rook comes straight to her doorstep, Sophia discovers that her fiancé is not all he seems. Which is only fair, because neither is she.

As the Red Rook grows bolder and the stakes grow higher, Sophia and René find themselves locked in a tantalizing game of cat and mouse.
]


At first Rook's plot seemed a little cliché to me, but as I kept reading I realized I was actually only able to predict one or two things- and those things were spun around to where I wasn't sure if it would happen until it did.
 And when it did, it was a whole other thing.

I've mentioned before that I'm in love with The Forgetting by the same author, so I had both my hopes and doubts for this book. While it was very different from the other book, it was just as good!
I underestimated everything from the beginning of the book!

From the first chapter, I was very intrigued, but I immediately thought of the side characters as flat and didn't give them much attention. But the next chapter and the rest of the book took my breath away!
They were each like a main character and were fighting for something desperately, and it was like I was stuck watching these adorable (yet scary) baby penguins go at each other to see who would come out alive with their dignity.
I didn't know which one to root for- even though I clearly had favorites!


The romance was absolutely one of my favorite parts- I love when couples are at each other's throats but are still adorable and they know it!Even that one person who caused problems (again, the baby penguin fighting scenario), was hard to not root for at least at one point or another. Even though he made a comment once or twice that made me want to kill him.

The plot and story were soooo good by the time you're halfway through it. The big bad villain was not something I was particularly worried about, to be honest- I was more focused on the side characters' issues and my wonderful couple that was in need of counseling.


[My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐]


Have any of you read this? If so, what did you think? If not, please give it a try and let me know what you think!!

Thanks for reading!!
~Books with Noel

P. S. Sorry about all that baby penguin talk... *scratches head nervously*

Comments

  1. "in need of counseling" :) That made me laugh! Glad this was good! I remember seeing this around a while back and I thought it sounded pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you enjoyed this one. I didn't have a great reading experience with this one but I don't remember why. I somehow forgot that the same author wrote The Forgetting and The Knowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about it because I'd loved The Forgetting so much, I kinda thought it wouldn't live up to it!

      Delete
  3. I like when a book surprises you. I love that the plot grabbed you in the second half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it a lot when I get surprised by a book or it's characters, because right off the bat when I start reading I already have first impressions of the characters- so when they prove me wrong it's kinda exciting.

      Delete

Post a Comment