The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron

Time for another review my lovely friends and readers! 

A book that I read this month and feel is a hidden gem, and I'm also glad I found it at my library before I'd even heard anything about it!  That's right I picked this book up on a whim- simply because it looked kinda cool and the name was intriguing.





 Title: The Forgetting

Author: Sharon Cameron

Sequels?: There is a sequel- but I haven't read it yet seeing as I just finished this one.

Published:  September 13th, 2016

 Genre: Scifi



 [Synopsis: What isn't written, isn't remembered. Even your crimes. 
   Nadia lives in the city of Canaan, where life is safe and structured, hemmed in by white stone walls and no memory of what came before. But every twelve years the city descends into the bloody chaos of the Forgetting, a day of no remorse, when each person's memories -- of parents, children, love, life, and self -- are lost. Unless they have been written. 
  In Canaan, your book is your truth and your identity, and Nadia knows exactly who hasn't written the truth. Because she is the only person in Canaan who has never forgotten. But when Nadia begins to use her memories to solve the mysteries of Canaan, she discovers truths about herself and Gray, the handsome glassblower, that will change her world forever. 
  As the anarchy of the Forgetting approaches, Nadia and Gray must stop an unseen enemy that threatens both their city and their own existence -- before the people can forget the truth. And before Gray can forget her.]



   So I started reading this book- and next thing I know I was on chapter three in the library where my brother was supposed to pick me up- and I had three missed calls from him because I had been so sucked into the story.
   I've been crazy busy these days- so that fact that I lost track of time like that and couldn't get it out of my head was wonderful and rather bad. I'd forgotten what it felt like to suddenly look up thinking it'd only been a few minutes- but it was an hour later and you weren't sure where you were for a minute because you'd been so into the story and the world and its characters!



At the beginning of the first chapter I had been thinking ''Oh, this is another character that is just generic and plain-''
 Boy, was I wrong- I learned my lesson that I was not going to get through the first 15 pages without caring about the protagonist like she was a cinnamon roll that needed to be protected even though they'd already lived through some crazy s***.

(I literally bought the book as soon as I finished reading it, and it's now on my bookshelf BTW!)


But onto the world and plot!!
  So I was thinking the book was more along the lines of The City of Ember or The Hunger Games (because Gray and Nadia gave me Peeta and Katniss vibes for most of the book honestly)- I was once again WRONG! Gray and Nadia were not to be compared to other couples in YA books, and neither was the world in The Forgetting.

  When I say the genre of this book is sci-fi- I mean it is sci-fi, there is no mistake, though I did have to wait til like halfway through to see everything. And it is a sci-fi book that fits and brings out what you think of when you hear the words ''Science Fiction". Except for aliens- there are no aliens (just to put that out there).

  I couldn't guess where the crap things were going in this story- whether that was because I was too invested in the characters (which is very likely) I don't know- I just couldn't guess anything correctly! The book exceeded everything and took it to new twists and levels that I would've thought made the story more plain and cringy. But the author tied it so well into the plot- the villain- the world, that it was not plain and cringy by any means.


Speaking of villains....
One of the antagonists was rather obvious from page one, the second one- who happened to be the big bad villain- was revealed in an interesting way that was not really a plot twist or hard to guess either. But what was a surprise was the motives and stories of both antagonists...
No spoilers there though! :P


One last thing... there apparently is a book two...


My prayers were answered, but now I'm terrified of what's going to happen in the sequel.....



Have any of you read The Forgetting?? 
If so did you like it? If not- would you want to??


Have a good one guys!
~Books with Noel ;)

Comments

  1. Yay! I’m glad you liked it. I won the second book in this series, but I can’t read it because I don’t have the first book. I should probably remedy this situation . . .

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, it's so good!! Congrats on winning the sequel!!

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked this book! It looks really cool :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was, I was pleasantly surprised!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read the sequel either but The Forgetting took me by surprise by how engaging it was!

    You know it's a good book when you're sucked in by chapter 1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! I was so surprised- I had expected it to make me skim or skip parts@

      Delete
  4. I've seen this book around in a couple of places and really love the cover. It sounds super intriguing so I might have to pick it up at some point. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is really pretty, it took me forever to understand why a tree was on the cover- but I got why about two thirds through the book!

      Delete
  5. I hadn't heard of this one but you certainly sold me on it.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! Really surprising and interesting!

      Delete
  6. Ooh this looks really good- and I love books like that that manage to surprise me or are unpredictable. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised every time I picked it up- because I'd been expecting a different kind of book or I had expected it to not enrapture me in it like it ended up doing Lol!

      Delete
  7. Books you pick up on a whim that seemed interesting but is amazing are the best finds. I feel like I HAVE heard of this book years ago, but never looked into the synopsis myself to see if it would be my type (the cover is not my type kind of). If not, though, I love the concept of the book and will definitely look into it!

    *grumbles* Gosh darn it, Noel, you might have added a book to my almost cleaned TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm sorry! That happens to me all the time though- I'll be doing good with my TBR until I visit someone's blog!

      Delete
  8. I love it when I get sucked into a book like that! Sounds like and exciting and original read! I'll have to check this one out. Wonderful review. Leslie (from Parks & Recreation) cracks me up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, she's my favorite!
      Thank you- definitely give it a try and let me know what you think!!

      Delete
  9. I had been glancing at this book, but never went to Goodreads to have a good look. I think I will now. Thanks for the heads up. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! It's amazing!! I threw my cover at a friend and made her read it Lol!!

      Delete

Post a Comment