Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater | Perfect Example of A Certain Bookish Problem


Title:  Shiver

Author:  Maggie Stiefvater

Published: August 1st, 2009

Genre: Supernatural, Werewolves, Teen, Romance, YA


AMAZON | GOODREADS



  Synopsis:  For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without.

Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human… until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.



  A bookish problem I've recently discovered, is more of the phases book readers go through and how they're popular for a few years- but if you go back and re-read *cough* or read for the first time *cough* those books now... totally different story.

  I remember when I first read a YA book with love triangles, and oh buddy, did I read books with them- but you couldn't find books without them then!  Now, someone might stop reading a series because of the love triangle (which be honest, when have they ever been necessary in a book series besides Sarah J. Maas books??)


Shiver was like that, I didn't love it- but I felt like if I had read it when it came out I would have.

 The werewolves and the plot were very original and unique, and probably my favorite aspects of the book! I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would because of the originality the author had. I wasn't quite sure what the author was planning so I wasn't able to guess anything in the story really.

 Gracie and Sam were an interesting couple to say the least... though honestly, I didn't love their characters as much as I had wanted to :( They were likable though.

I wish we'd gotten to see more of the side characters as well, but sadly we didn't get to much at all. We at least heard about them from Gracie and Sam though, I guess...


 This book was a great read, but I just wish I'd found it when I was younger and would have enjoyed it immensely (unlike now).
 Does anyone else have this problem???



[My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟]


Have any of you read Shiver?? What did you think? Is this a bookish problem for just me, or do you guys have it too???


Thanks for reading!!
~Books with Noel

P. S.  Sorry I wasn't able to get a post up on Saturday, it was super crazy at work!!

Comments

  1. I totally agree with this. I did read Shiver when I was a lot younger, and I LOVED it. I haven’t picked it up since, but I would like to give it a re-read one if these days to see if my opinion has changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twilight was like that for me, I was obsessed with the series and loved it when I was younger and first read it- but when I re-read it as I got older...totally different story!

      Delete
  2. I have! I read the series years ago and at the time. I really enjoyed book one in the series. Unfortunately if went downhill from there for me though. I liked the writing and was charmed by Sam but the romance felt really bizarre because she initially falls in love with the wolf? It's been years since I've read it and dare say I probably wouldn't enjoy it if I picked it back up for a reread. Do you think you'll continue on with the series? Great review Sam, sorry you didn't enjoy this one a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will to see what happens, they still didn't quite explain a whole lot to me and I want to know more. I liked Sam way better than Gracie as a character, I felt more of a depth to him than with her.
      It's definitely not a re-read or one I plan to buy!

      Delete
  3. I didn't like it when I read it and it was a DNF. This was the period of time when instaluv and love triangles in YA put me off the genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insta Love is my biggest peeve, I just can't stand it!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I totally agree! My tastes as a reader have changed and evolved over the years. I don't read much YA anymore because of that. I don't re-read books I think will irritate me now either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, YA seems to have the most cliches that get worn out and become irritating after a while!

      Delete
  5. My tastes have changed dramatically over the years but my bigger problem is not being blown away by books that are everyone's favorite - including this one.

    I had heard so much about her writing and this series but I just thought it was ok.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Jenny Han is a writer I've heard only good things about and her writing, but all of her books just aren't that good to me. They're writing is just meh :(

      Delete

Post a Comment