Code: Breaker [Anime Discussion]



Title: Code: Breaker

Sub or Dub?? SUB!!!! Definitely sub!

Episodes: 13 + 2 OVAs

Manga: 26 volumes

Where to watch it: Hulu

Genre: Supernatural, school, comedy, action



[About: When Sakura meets Rei at school, she learns he's no simple transfer student - he's also a Code: Breaker, a government assassin with strange powers. From the director of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, a supernatural new series filled with action and comedy.]




So I discovered Code: Breaker a while ago when watching some anime AMVs on YouTube (don't ask why), and next thing I knew I was binging it all...

At first Sakura had given me a totally different impression than the kind of character she turned out being in the same episode. I thought she would be a annoying protagonist that I couldn't stand, but I stood corrected! She was blunt and forceful but it worked for her- she was still gentle and caring at the same time. I loved it!

And Oh. My. Gumdrops!
The side characters!! 
  • So Rei is... well, he kills people- but we still like him! (I have no idea how else to say it xD)
  • Toki deserves his own show, I'm just saying, and he honestly makes me think of Keefe from Keeper of the Lost Cities... Anyone else get that? No? Okay, I'll go away now...
  • Yuuki was a precious cinnamon roll that I really want to be protected.
  • Heike was... okay while all the characters were hilarious but still had that extra touch where you cared about them, this dude was just flat out ridiculous- but he still made it work!

The romance...
So there wasn't a lot of romance in the show, it was implied that Rei and Sakura (who I SO ship!!) like each other, but the fact that Rei's a Code Breaker... doesn't help y'know?
It's only really revealed in the OVAs that Rei does have actual feelings for the stubborn girl, but it was still adorable!


The freaking Villain was WHO?!?!
This show was funny, but deep and emotional at the same time- the perfect show for me lol!

  So when the villain had the most touching back story right before he... (sniffles), it practically ripped out my heart and stomped on it. This was a side character kind of villain that we didn't know much about at all until the climax- and then we get these heart shattering memories and realizations that explain why a perfectly good person went pshyco!


Now the manga continues and explains more about Sakura's past and much more from what I understand, the anime ends without explaining that so I'm going to be starting the manga and find out if my ship gets together!

Though the manga is rather hard to get ahold of, so I would suggest trying the anime first. And it does have a beautiful and satisfying ending- though there are sitll things to get tied up, and it takes a couple days before you let yourself somewhat like the ending too.... just make sure to watch the OVAs too!!


One of the only things I diskliked, is that at the beginning there was a scene that was rather gruesome and honestly unnecessary. 

 SPOILER- a small dog that was so sweet and such was killed very... suddenly while Sakura is being attacked.

SPOILER OVER


[My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐]


Have any of you read or watched Code: Breaker? What did you think??? Have you heard of it before?


Thanks for reading!!
~Books with Noel

Comments

  1. Hm... might be something I need to check out. I love how much you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is new to me! The villain sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one, but you've piqued my interest! I love it when books/movies/television shows make you like the villain. When they have a valid reason for doing the things they do, it's harder to hate them. We sort of start sympathizing instead. It's an emotional smackdown!

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so I watched the first episode after reading this review, and now I'm on episode four. This is great! However, I could have done without the dog dying the way it did. That was freaking horrible and I can't ever forget it. First, she loses her person, and then finally warms up to Sakura only lose her life trying to protect her. IT WAS SO SAD! WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN ME?? I'm going to go cry now, and also watch more of this show.

      Delete
    2. IT'S SO ADDICTING!! I cried so hard over the dog though, that was honestly very unnecessary. Please keep me updated as you watch it!! I have no one to talk to about it lol!

      Delete
    3. Are we friends on Twitter? If not, we should be! The dog bit destroyed me. Ugh, I cannot even think about it.

      Delete
    4. Damn! I did NOT see that betrayal coming! Gah!!! (Just finished episode 8.) ;)

      Delete
    5. I actually am planning to set up a Twitter and Instagram account on Friday! I'll have to let you know once I do!

      Eek, you're pretty far in already!! Who's your favorite Code Breaker so far??

      Delete
    6. For other commenters, stop reading this if you don't want to see spoilers!

      That's a hard question! I really liked Hitomi! I liked who he was before he started murdering innocent people. He wanted to help his friends, and the children... ugh. It was horrible. The Prime Minister was a monster, and I wish something more tragic had happened to him. Did Hitomi get him in the end? Was that implied? I also really liked Hachiouji. Her powers were badass! She gave herself wings!

      Aoba was a really good friend to Sakura, even when Sakura was cruel and pushed her away. I feel like there was a better way for Sakura to go about that. I'm also disappointed with the ending. There was a setup for another series, but it doesn't look like one is planned. Right?

      As for the ending, it sort of ruined the rest of the series for me. Sakura's whole thing is neutralizing people's powers. Why didn't she just hold on to Hitomi while his power fizzled out? It was leaving him and killing him in the process, so if she had held him, would he have become human? Lived the normal life in the sun that he desperately craved? Would that have given other Code Breakers hope? I feel like it could have had a way better ending! I also wish Toki (same voice actor for Natsu from Fairy Tail!) had killed his father and secured a better future for his sister.

      It was great overall! But the ending really bummed me out.

      Delete
    7. Apparently the ending is a bit different in the manga, and the anime's ending was more of thrown together to tie everything as best they could- because the manga has 26 volumes and explains a lot of other things that weren't touched on much in the anime.
      I definitely wish the Prime Minister had gotten what he deserved, however I'm not really sure- it's hinted at a bit from what I understand that Hitomi did get him in the end though.

      Aoba was such a good friend! I wish Sakura had been a bit kinder to her!

      Delete
  4. I don't watch anime, but nice that you enjoyed it so much! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment