Skip to main content

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake



Title: Three Dark Crowns

Author: Kendare Blake

Genre: Fantasy, YA

Published: September 20th, 2016

Series?: 3 books

Other books by author: Anna Dressed in Blood duology





 Synopsis: When kingdom come, there will be one.

In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born—three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.

But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.

The last queen standing gets the crown.





First I had so many ''feelings'' after reading this book, that I'm going to be doing lots of spoilers throughout this book review- so be warned! 
I just don't see how I can talk about this book without spoiling certain things that happened, or what certain characters decided to do, etc.


I honestly expect nothing less from Kendare Blake, I am in love with her first duology (Anna Dressed In Blood) so when I saw she'd made another series I had to try it. It was more than I had wanted!
 The characters (even side ones), the plot, and the world were so amazing and inticate- I can definitely see why more books were needed.

Blake's writing style is so haunting and unique- that's what stands out the most to me in her books.


There were so many things I didn't see coming, especially the last couple chapters.The characters kept me so distracted and were rather hard to predict.

 
Favorite Character? Katherine! 
While I did like all three sisters, Mirabella was the one I liked the least.


Least Favorite Character?
I liked Joseph up until all that stuff with Mirabella- and then I was so close to forgiving him when he does it again! 
So Joseph is my least favorite character due to that, but then Mirabella is close- though she wanted to find her sisters and did care for them most of the book... I do like her, but I don't like her enough to care if she lives or dies in the next book. Make sense?



Thoughts on the Romance?
   Well, Arsinoe and Billy are entertaining- and there wasn't any Instant Love to be concerned about there. It was gradual, and I kept waiting for one of them to kiss the other, etc. 
    Katherine and Pietyr were my favorites until he...did some ''questionabe things'' though I still like him better than Joseph *cough*. 
    And then I loved Jules and Joseph until Joseph decided to cheat on her more than once with Mirabella (who he knew would have to kill his best friend). 


So...the guys, I don't know who taught them what is acceptable in a relationship- but tossing your girlfriend off a cliff is not the way to show your affection. Though he had his reasons, but if they'd just taken a minute longer to explain what had happened and why Katherine had run- need I say the outcome would have been different?




Thoughts on the ending? Okay, when I learned Katherine and Arsinoe didn't have their gifts yet, I literally thought to myself ''Wouldn't it be funny if at the end they had each other's gifts? But there's no way the author would-''  Yeah....

I was so happy to see Katherine alive, but...when she was like ''I want my crown and my sisters dead.'' I just sat there, and was like



 
I feel like I need to read the rest of the series, before I put it off too long and either lose interest or have to reread Three Dark Crowns again.


 
What were you guys thoughts on Three Dark Crowns?


[My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐]




Thanks for reading!!
~Books with Noel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Noel's BLOGVERSARY!!

Bonjour mes amis! [Hello my friends!] It's officially Books with Noel 's Blogversary!!! Quick Note: I'm sorry if any of these seems rushed, I injured my wrist at work and now have to wear a brace on my right side (I'm right-handed). When I first started blogging, it was a rash and implusive decision (and no, I ususally don't have those). I had already been trying to do BookTube for a while, and it was rough- I'll admit it. But more on that later! I started Books with Noel to try to communicate my passion and thoughts on books the only way I know best- through writing. (Don't ask why I'm still on YouTube then, sometimes I don't even know myself.) As soon as I did my first two blog posts on here, I was introduced to some very kind book bloggers and I found the best book community I've ever seen! Everyone is so nice, even when disagreeing about a book! I'm now able to support other bloggers and unknown authors through my blo...

The Month of February and Trying New Things | A Monthly Wrap-Up + A TBR

    Eek, is it bad that I'm relieved Valentine's Day and the ''Love Month'' is over? I just read contemporaries, watched chick flicks, and ate ice cream to celebrate the holiday...it was great! How about you guys? How was your Valentine's Day? How's The YouTube Channel Going?? As some of you know, I also am a small BookTuber who shares my videos only in the monthly wrap-ups. And yes, they are as random as my blog posts 😂.  Though I try to keep their content different, so one book review that will be on my blog may not be on my YouTube channel (unless I feel very strongly about the book or am reviewing it for someone). So here are the videos from February!! ChickFlicks & Contemporaries | MY FEBRUARY TBR TOP TEN ANIME COUPLES | FT. CAMMIE Eliza And Her Monsters | BOOK RANT TRY A CHAPTER ~ Round 1 Since the theme for this month is Trying New Things , I'm planning to start doing anime related videos on my YouTube. Spec...

The Wrath & The Dawn by Renée Ahdieh | It's Love, I know It!

Title: The Wrath and The Dawn Author: Renée Ahdieh Other books by Author: The Rose and The Dagger ( book 2 ), Flame In The Mist , Smoke In The Sun (b ook 2 to Flame in The Mist ) Published: May 12th, 2015 Genre: Fantasy, YA, Retellings, Romance AMAZON | GOODREADS  Synopsis: One Life to One Dawn.   In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.   Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expect...