Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake



Title: Three Dark Crowns

Author: Kendare Blake

Genre: Fantasy, YA

Published: September 20th, 2016

Series?: 3 books

Other books by author: Anna Dressed in Blood duology





 Synopsis: When kingdom come, there will be one.

In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born—three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.

But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.

The last queen standing gets the crown.





First I had so many ''feelings'' after reading this book, that I'm going to be doing lots of spoilers throughout this book review- so be warned! 
I just don't see how I can talk about this book without spoiling certain things that happened, or what certain characters decided to do, etc.


I honestly expect nothing less from Kendare Blake, I am in love with her first duology (Anna Dressed In Blood) so when I saw she'd made another series I had to try it. It was more than I had wanted!
 The characters (even side ones), the plot, and the world were so amazing and inticate- I can definitely see why more books were needed.

Blake's writing style is so haunting and unique- that's what stands out the most to me in her books.


There were so many things I didn't see coming, especially the last couple chapters.The characters kept me so distracted and were rather hard to predict.

 
Favorite Character? Katherine! 
While I did like all three sisters, Mirabella was the one I liked the least.


Least Favorite Character?
I liked Joseph up until all that stuff with Mirabella- and then I was so close to forgiving him when he does it again! 
So Joseph is my least favorite character due to that, but then Mirabella is close- though she wanted to find her sisters and did care for them most of the book... I do like her, but I don't like her enough to care if she lives or dies in the next book. Make sense?



Thoughts on the Romance?
   Well, Arsinoe and Billy are entertaining- and there wasn't any Instant Love to be concerned about there. It was gradual, and I kept waiting for one of them to kiss the other, etc. 
    Katherine and Pietyr were my favorites until he...did some ''questionabe things'' though I still like him better than Joseph *cough*. 
    And then I loved Jules and Joseph until Joseph decided to cheat on her more than once with Mirabella (who he knew would have to kill his best friend). 


So...the guys, I don't know who taught them what is acceptable in a relationship- but tossing your girlfriend off a cliff is not the way to show your affection. Though he had his reasons, but if they'd just taken a minute longer to explain what had happened and why Katherine had run- need I say the outcome would have been different?




Thoughts on the ending? Okay, when I learned Katherine and Arsinoe didn't have their gifts yet, I literally thought to myself ''Wouldn't it be funny if at the end they had each other's gifts? But there's no way the author would-''  Yeah....

I was so happy to see Katherine alive, but...when she was like ''I want my crown and my sisters dead.'' I just sat there, and was like



 
I feel like I need to read the rest of the series, before I put it off too long and either lose interest or have to reread Three Dark Crowns again.


 
What were you guys thoughts on Three Dark Crowns?


[My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐]




Thanks for reading!!
~Books with Noel

Comments