Warcross Book Review


I kid you not, I liked this book better than Legend by Marie Lu (same author). But that shouldn't be a surprise based on how that trilogy ended in the first place... ANYWAYS...


This book was so hyped, I was tempted to just not read it until everything calmed down. But I am so so glad that I did end up reading it!


I read it for a reading challenge in the #AprilAThon readathon. The reading challenge had been to read a book with your favorite color on the cover.
I picked Warcross becasue I am incapable of picking a favorite color- I love too many- so why not pick a book cover that has every single color on it?




Synopsis:  For the millions who log in every day, Warcross isn’t just a game—it’s a way of life. The obsession started ten years ago and its fan base now spans the globe, some eager to escape from reality and others hoping to make a profit. Struggling to make ends meet, teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty hunter, tracking down players who bet on the game illegally. But the bounty hunting world is a competitive one, and survival has not been easy. Needing to make some quick cash, Emika takes a risk and hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships—only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation.

Convinced she’s going to be arrested, Emika is shocked when instead she gets a call from the game’s creator, the elusive young billionaire Hideo Tanaka, with an irresistible offer. He needs a spy on the inside of this year’s tournament in order to uncover a security problem . . . and he wants Emika for the job. With no time to lose, Emika’s whisked off to Tokyo and thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she’s only dreamed of. But soon her investigation uncovers a sinister plot, with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire.






I loved practically everything in this book, which really surprised me. It'd been quite a while since I read a book where I was in love with absolutely every sentence in the book. (I should've known it was too good to be true.)

Emika was an awesome protagonist, she was different, smart, and awkward too. I especially liked her rainbow hair and tatoos- I liked a description for her that stood out and I wouldn't froget easily.

Video Games, Tokyo, Hackers- just say that and I'll freaking buy the book, Lol. My brother would too.

There were a few parts (such as a certain character's backstory, not Emika's though) that weren't as good as they could have been. But everything else was so good, I didn't really think about it until a few days afterwards (after rereading the book as well).

But as much as I loved the book, THAT BLOODY ENDING only served to piss me off. I thought a twist needed to happen at some point, and it did- at the very end with much heartbreak.  
I do still have very high hopes for book two though- Wildcard, which is to come out some point in 2018. 

I've heard mixed things about Warcross; some people thought it was predictable, and some people thought it was the best thing ever. 
I do love Warcross, the only thing that stopped me from giving it 5 stars was the ending. You'll find lots of differing opinions, especially with book 2 on the way, but it is worth trying- I can gaurantee you that.
 



My Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟 


Thanks for reading!!
~Books with Noel

Comments