Journal of a Tired Indie Writer ~ Pt. 1

 

Journal of a Tired Indie Writer ~ Pt. 1


Welcome to my black hole website/blog/rant sessions, you must be new here. Don't worry, so am I.

These ''journal of a tired indie writer'' blog posts are going to be just some of the kinds of posts I put out. They're going to be a kind of venting with coffee session for me, but advice and tips for others that are at any stage of any kind of writing.

They also will be humiliating for me because I'm not going to sugarcoat or hide any of it.

I have always been big on honesty so these blog posts/journal entries will be full of all kinds of embarrassing mistakes I make at all points of the writing process, but hopefully they can help encourage other writers or just make someone laugh today.

 

Welcome to my chaos as an author and my coffee ramble-- toast! *lifts mug for lonely cheer*

 

                                                            ☕️☕️☕️

 

 The Actual Writing & The Procrastinating

11:14pm | A Saturday we're not naming

 

    Ironically for a person that likes honesty so much, it's very hard to be so honest to myself. Last night I told myself firmly I would wake up early to write and have plenty of time before going to work at my full-time job later the next day.

Journal, yours truly, is an idiot that lied to herself.

I did wake up early technically.

Only to take one look at the time and dive back under the cover (it was only 5:45 am at this point, and is nothing considering I'm usually a morning person), convincing my sleep-loving brain that I would only sleep for twenty more minutes or so.

I did not get up twenty minutes later, journal.

And now, as I type this up once I've gotten back home after a long shift at work (with my blessed Garfield mug of coffee).... I've decided to just start being brutally honest with myself about my horrible writing and procrastinating habits.

 

*Pause to sip coffee*

 

I have made a bullet list below just for me and you journal, pls pls don't share 👀:

 

  • You will NOT wake up early to write, while in the past you've done this maybe a total of three times successfully, your a lazy panda that doesn't like to move from the warm soft cocoon you sleep in. You're a night owl, so deal with it and adjust. 

 

  •  You are not a writer that makes plans and goals well and can stick to them. You don't even average your time actually writing very well....ooh look another character board we can make on Pinterest!!

 

  • Progress-wise....you actually end up just stress-crying as you rush to get everything done last minute because you procrastinated so much. That's it. That's your process.

 

  • You will *not* remember that crucial idea or plot line when you get out of the shower or when you wake up in the morning, get out now- and WRITE THAT **** DOWN!!

 

  • If you ever try to write without coffee again, you will know what torture truly is.

 

  • And finally, stop trying to make all the characters and plot lines do what you want and fit how you planned. It's a draft that lets everything flow as you write it- you can go back in the next draft and make sure everything goes right with an outline, but that's not for right now.

 

  • You idiot, you already knew all this.

 

*quietly sobbing into a mug of coffee*

    And to think if I'd been so honest with myself about my writing habits and procrastinating...maybe....no. Not even then. Those nights crying on the kitchen floor surrounded by half-eaten twinkies and discarded pieces of paper definitely would've still happened. (I glance to my left at the draft, sticky notes, and twinkie remains in the kitchen.)

Pugsley & Noel stare-down

 Yeah.... let's pause here for now journal dear, I'll be back to tell you more of my disasters and mistakes soon!!


Lot of love!!
NoelW

Comments

  1. Nice to see you back, Noel! I am definitely a victim of glancing at the clock in the morning, telling myself I'm only getting a few more minutes of sleep in, and waking up hours later. I am NOT a morning person at all. I hope you find a routine that works for you and happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily!! :) I'm slowly finding one haha, but as much as I like mornings I love sleep just a tad more lol!!

      Delete

Post a Comment