Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller

Guys- I've found yet another strong YA female protagonist that is both hilarious and captivating to read about!
Can you guess who she is?
Can you? Can you? Can you?

(You already know from the title of this post, don't you? -_-)

She is... *drum roll* Alosa from Daughter of the Pirate King!

So I believe I owe you guys a few book reviews, and one of them is- yes- the book mentioned above!



Title: Daughter of the Pirate King

Sequels?: Daughter of the Siren Queen is the sequel- but I haven't read it yet!

Author: Tricia Levenseller

Published:  February, 28th, 2017

Genre: YA Fantasy



{Synopsis: There will be plenty of time for me to beat him soundly once I've gotten what I came for.
   Sent on a mission to retrieve an ancient hidden map―the key to a legendary treasure trove―seventeen-year-old pirate captain Alosa deliberately allows herself to be captured by her enemies, giving her the perfect opportunity to search their ship.
   More than a match for the ruthless pirate crew, Alosa has only one thing standing between her and the map: her captor, the unexpectedly clever and unfairly attractive first mate Riden. But not to worry, for Alosa has a few tricks up her sleeve, and no lone pirate can stop the Daughter of the Pirate King.
In Daughter of the Pirate King, debut author Tricia Levenseller blends action, adventure, romance, and a little bit of magic into a thrilling YA pirate tale.}


If you liked any of the following, this book may be for you:

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

The Diabolic by S. J. Kincaid

 Legend by Marie Lu
   
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


So, wow.

  The romance was not a mushy gushy mess, you guys! It played out very well, especially since there was denial and drama going on for our lovely protagonist throughout a portion of the book- but that didn't make it bad or boring at all! I feel like it happened gradually and was not forced on the love interests (which is a nice change).

  I loved how we figured out more about Alosa as the story went on- we had a chance to actually care and want to know more before it was thrust in our faces. And I mean, there's still a lot more to go considering her parents...are interesting, to say the least. 

  The plot was a bit predictable- except for certain parts- but the author tied and wrote everything so well that I didn't care if I could see something that would happen in ten chapters or less.

There was action, humor that had me laughing out loud (which got me some weird looks), and romance that I did not want to bark at. I loved it.


The only thing that I didn't ''love'' was the cliche idea of how tough and awesome Alosa was- yet when she needed to prove it, she couldn't. However, I stopped caring about that cliche after the first 3 chapters.
The cliche of touch strong female protags is something that I see so much, I just don't really care for it. But this book was amazing with it!!

I also believe that this book has now started a new book phase...

wait for it...

...



*Drum roll*


Pirates!!
 (Out of curiosity, how many of you rolled your eyes or shook your head?)




[My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐]



Have any of you read Daughter of the Pirate King yet?? What are your thoughts on it and would you want to read it??

~Books with Noel

Comments

  1. I've had my eye on this book since it came out, but I still haven't gotten around to it. For some reason pirates just aren't my thing. The romance sounds SO good though! I'm glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too! It was much better than I could've expected!

      Delete
  2. The book was so good! I honestly loved the sequel too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Noel. :)
    I loved your review for Daughter of the Pirate King and have just added it to the list of books I'm eager to read in 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to give it a try in 2019!! It was super good! And thank you :)

      Delete
  4. I love books about pirates! I was just about to start the audio for Seafire, which is supposed to be about an entire crew of badass female pirates. This one has been on my list for ages, but I need to make time for it.

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this one, but I think I had higher expectations. I agree that the romance was nicely balanced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a very nice change to read a book with balanced romance!

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to read this book. I've seen so many good reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go buy it for Christmas, it was super good!!

      Delete
  7. I've read a lot of mixed reviews for this one but I'm still interested. I mean...pirates!

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try, there wasn't any Instant Love in it- which is hard to find sometimes!

      Delete
  8. I think I have this book somewhere. If not, I'm confusing it with Passenger (I Think?) Don't judge me! Lol I have books I forget I have because of the covers. Lol Whoops. but if not, I do know it's on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good, if you haven't read it yet- give it a try in 2019!

      Delete

Post a Comment